DEFINITION: The nondestructive techniques used in geophysical prospecting and to generate archaeological data without excavation. It is a general term for reconnaissance and surface survey techniques that leave subsurface archaeological deposits undisturbed.
When with Maverick, you will learn how to read maps, use compass equipment to locate positions on a map, how to identify cultural resources, and explore biology, hydrology, and geology in terms of its influence on nomadic clans as expressed by their settlement patterns in using the land.
So.. a warm WELCOME is extended to those of you who read this and have the time, now, to bring yourself with anticipation, curiosity and adventuresome spirit; to join me at the fire to learn how to do these things. This adventure will not be primitive camping, but will require excellent hiking skills and endurance. I have setup camp to be a central meeting place for this archaeological “Roam-About” where we can group and meet at the Julian Lodge.
You can text me of your were bouts, at: (858) 576 – 8363, and know that you can eventually find me at camp.
My schedule below will show you when I will be returning to camp:
Saturday night, April 22, 2017
- Load Suburban with tools and equipment for Outdoor cooking, music session, hiking (the Head Waters of the Cedar Creek Falls), survey for Archaeological Reconnaissance “Roam-About” based out of Julian, California. [Sunday and Monday Night at Julian Lodge, hosting Queen Room #208, 4th & C Streets, Julian, CA 92036 phone (760) 765-1420]
- Maps and Camper’s Guides
- Reservation set
Sunday morning, April 23, 2017
- Son-rise breakfast @ 5am
(outdoor cooking: Coffee / Spam / Eggs and rice – cowboy style )
During the night camping out at Banner Grade, I got to view the most beautiful sliver of a moon with a very bright star:
Traveling Banner Grade coming up to 4000 feet elevation in to the mining town: Julian, California.
- Hike Cedar Creek Falls from the Eagle Peak Road / Saddleback Trailhead (From Santa Ysabel, take Highway 78 east towards Julian, to Pine Hills Road [from this turn it is 20+ minutes to the Preserve]. Turn right onto Eagle Peak Road. After a short distance, Eagle Peak Road becomes a County maintained dirt road. It is generally in really good condition. Wet weather can make the road a bit slippery in a couple of spots so please drive carefully. The drive provides incredible views. Approximately 1/2 mile before the end of the road at the Saddleback Trailhead, you will come to the Preserve. A Preserve Sign is located at the first entrance. There are three (3) trail entries. Parking is available at the 2nd and third entrance where all parking is on the left side of the road).
After checking into the Julian Lodge to establish camp in room 208, I took a look around to discover the city jail! Next prompt move is to get out in the field and survey the area using the Eagle Rock Road and Saddleback Trail head as a prospective destination.03 - Julian Lodge camp site04 - Julian Jail House05 - inside Julian jail house 106 - Julian jail 1914 plaque07 -20170423_12261208 - 20170423_122620
13 - 20170423_12462614 - 20170423_12464416 - 20170423_12543517 - 20170423_125445
24 - 20170423_13035725 - 20170423_13041326 - 20170423_13042827 - 20170423_13043228 - 20170423_13073745 - 20170423_13543246 - 20170423_13545047 - 20170423_13555148 - 20170423_13560849 - 20170423_13561854 - 20170423_14041556 - 20170423_14053758 - 20170423_14125159 - 20170423_14131762 - 20170423_14292863 - 20170423_14293264 - 20170423_14293666 - 20170423_14385967 - 20170423_14390368 - 20170423_14390869 - 20170423_14391374 - 20170423_15142076 - 20170423_16130177 - 20170423_16131578 - 20170423_16183379 - 20170423_16392380 - 20170423_16393281 - 20170423_16395082 - 20170423_16441983 - 20170423_16443384 - 20170423_16445085 - 20170423_164500
- Return to camp for clean-up, archaeology / history discussion and rest before evening schedule of events. Got back to camp at 5:30pm, purchased some firewood, got showered and cleaned up, ready for dinner at 6:30pm
Sunday evening, April 23, 2017
- Stroll the small city of Julian, CA
- Dining and Pleasure
I found a good Rib Eye steak at the Rongbranch Restaurant served with salad and mashed potatoes.
- Star gazing
I’m going to drive the Suburban up to Eagle High Point Goldmine to park, the put the futon on top of the truck roof and lay on the futon gazing at the stars:
Eagle Gold Mine, 5 Stamp Mill Assay Office and Blacksmith Shop Located 39 chains N.E. of Julian City, California. 100 years old 1970 is a GREAT place to park for stargazing:
Monday morning, April 24, 2017
- View early morning sunrise at 6am
01 - 20170424_055924Morning sunrise from Julian Lodge in Julian CA (Monday, 2017-04-24)02 - 20170424_060016Morning sunrise from Julian Lodge in Julian CA (Monday, 2017-04-24)03 - 20170424_060054Morning sunrise from Julian Lodge in Julian CA (Monday, 2017-04-24)04 - 20170424_060130Morning sunrise from Julian Lodge in Julian CA (Monday, 2017-04-24)
- Chatholic Mass at 8am
- Breakfast at Soups and Such Cafe at 9am
- Mid-morning easy hike
- Noon – music preparation
Monday evening, April 24, 2017
- Camp fire
- Music and singing
- Drinks and snacks
- Star gazing
Tuesday morning, April 25, 2017
- Early checkout / pack up camp
- Travel and breakfast in Poway, CA
- 8:45am Poway, CA: Jiffy Lube CSAT Class at store #1656